Friday, August 21, 2009

Why does Team USA blow at soccer?

Wednesday, August 12th

USA vs. Mexico

I had been looking forward to this day for two weeks. The day when the US would redeem itself from its shameful loss of 0-5 in the Gold Cup. This time, Team USA would have its secret weapon. This time, I would have something to brag about.

We all gathered in the entertainment room. All the kids wore their Mexican jerseys. I wore my red, white & blue. (The weekend before I had tried to find an American jersey, but NO ONE carried them, no t even on the black market. Mexicans, understandably, are not fans of their neighbors in soccer).

Early in the game, the US scores one. YES, we’re gonna have this. Then the US began to fail, fail, fail. And from half on, I received relentless taunts. Rightfully so, America did not play its best game. Thanks to their 2-0 loss, I get a complimentary month of:

“Hey Naomi, what was the score last week?”
“Hey Naomi, wait, who did Mexico win to?”
“Hey Naomi, I forget, is it Donavan that’s supposed to be good?”

Whatever, I can deal. I’m rubber and you’re glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment