Sunday, August 23, 2009

Nails Cut & Cleaned

School starts tomorrow. One school rule: all girls must have their nails cut and nail polish free. Sophie and I were given the responsibility to check to make sure all of the senior girls had done so. Now mind you, these are the oldest girls in the house, and I expected cut and clean nails all around.

Wrong.

A few of them had hidden away their long nails all day from inspecting caregivers. Others who still had their nails painted told me they didn’t have nail polish remover (usually a lie). Others with uncut nails said they couldn’t find nail clippers (definitely a lie).

Most of the time I forget that these girls are just that: girls. When I come in to tell them to cut their nails, and they refuse to do so, I’m reminded that in high school I too didn’t always acted my age. These 16, 17, 18-year-olds refusal to clean up their nails is just like when I stalked off because I didn’t want to do something. It’s about them expressing their independence. About them showing me that they are young adults, and not kids who need to listen to a parent figure.

Being a grown-up is tough work.

No comments:

Post a Comment