Wednesday, September 16, 2009

So Do You Like To Dance?

September 15th - Dia de la Indepencia of Mexico.

The house celebrates Independence Day with activities, a fancy dinner, and a dance. The kids only have a couple dances a year, so whenever we have one it's a big deal. So much so that for the entire couple days before, everyone asked me if I was going to dance at the dance.

At first I responded of course. I love to dance! Anyone who knows me knows I'm not shy at busting a move on the dance floor. But my enthusiasm dropped when my response was quickly followed by an "Oh yeah, what kind of dance?"

Wait, what?

The dance proved to be no endless disco-beat, grinding, sweaty fiesta as every high school dance in the US is. Instead, cumbia after salsa after duranguense song played from the DJ's speakers forcing me back to my middle school dance days when I stood against the wall watching everyone else who could dance better than I could.

Some generous souls invited me to dance and taught me steps. But that only lasted a full song before they got bored of me and moved onto their more experienced and graceful friends.

So I didn't have the salsa moves to bust out. But at least I could yell just as loud as any Mexican in the grito at midnight:

Viva Mexico! Viva!

Some pictures from the day's festivities:


The kids participated in the Three Armed Egg Race - Sophie's and my activity


With the two princes and king of the Independence Day Dance


Last year's queen passing off her crown

No comments:

Post a Comment