Monday, September 21, 2009

The Efficiency of Sweeping

Saturday, September 19th

Back in dorm life, cleaning my room was a rare occurrence. When the cleaning ladies cleaned our communal showers, bathrooms, and sinks, that's all I seemed to need. Being in Mexico however has upped my standard of cleanliness. The daily chores the kids do keep this place spotless. So when my bedroom floor goes for a week un-mopped, I feel like I’m walking in dirt.

As the supervisor of my girls’ chores, I have had the opportunity to try my hand at sweeping, squeegy boarding, and washing dishes. Not successfully however. After laughing at my sweeping abilities (or lack thereof) the pequeño I’m helping takes away my broom, sgueegy, etc. and does the job herself. It’s much more efficient when they do it.

I have to say though, that after two months of observation, my sweeping abilities have improved infinitesimally. Compared to the first time I swept my patio, I noticed a definite improvement in the efficiency of my strokes and my strategy of attack today. Maybe the girls will let me give sweeping another try during their chores. Second time’s a charm, here in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment