Friday, January 15, 2010

In Memory of Molly

I returned from home after two weeks of vacation this past Sunday. I was excited to come back, already having enough free time at home to become a couch potato. Also, a little overwhelmed at the thought of another six months. But, the break was good and renewing. Starting my second six months in conjunction with the start of a new year somehow gives me more of a push to make my last six months here better.

Soon after my return, Haiti was struck by an earthquake. Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos has a home in Haiti as well as a hospital, school, and special education program. Everyone’s thoughts here went immediately to our brothers and sisters in Haiti.
Wednesday came only with the news that we could find online. We heard that the pequeños in the home were safe and secure. The earthquake barely touched the home which is located high in the mountains further away from the shocks. But other buildings received substantial damage.

Thursday came with more news. The building which houses volunteers and visitors completely collapsed. The brother of a volunteer who was visiting his sister died. Another volunteer, Molly, was still missing.

And today, Friday, by keeping constant vigilance over twitter, news sites, and emails. We found out that the body Molly Hightower, 22, was found earlier today.

I want to extend my deepest regrets and comfort to her family.

The news of her passing is hitting me harder than I would have thought. Molly went down to Haiti to volunteer for NPH the same time I came down here to Mexico. She graduated last May from college. She’s been working with special needs kids in the orphanage since she arrived. Her blog is beautiful (www.mollyinhaiti.blogspot.com). When I first heard she was missing, I found her blog. Her last entry was on December 30th, a week after returning from her vacation of six months. She missed home but loved her kids even more.

Molly is not the only one who NPH lost to the earthquake. Office workers, adults who once used to live in the orphanage, and family members of NPH are among NPH’s losses.

It’s overwhelming to begin to think about the earthquake’s effects past the specific context of NPH. Within our sector, there is already so much loss and suffering. There are hundreds of other organizations and hundreds of thousands of other people who have suffered great, great losses.

As always in events such as these, I have begun to think more of “life.” It’s unpredictable. It’s incomprehensible. It’s joyous and heartbreaking all at the same time.

I find it truly an honor to be here to be part of the NPH family. Really, they have done more for my development than I have for theirs. NPH Mexico has opened my eyes, has taught me unconditional acceptance. It has given me the chance to be part of something wonderful. I’m so grateful to NPH - that in my life, I can contribute to what NPH is doing.

At the end of our lives, whether that is tomorrow or one hundred years from now, all we can do, is live doing what we love and spend time with those whom we love. So when that day comes, as predicted or in the blink of an eye, we’re at least content with the life we have lived.



If you feel moved to support NPH Haiti, visit www.friendsoftheorphans.com, the United States based fundraising group for Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos.

No comments:

Post a Comment