Saturday, January 30, 2010

From New to Old


Two weeks ago we welcomed eight new volunteers. Their arrival reclassified my generation of volunteers (who arrived in July of 2009) from "new" to "old" as NPH welcomes a new generation every six months.

Becoming an "old" volunteer has brought on a new sense of responsibility. Because I'm no longer new in the neighborhood, my role as an observer and Spanish-language-learner has transitioned into active staff member of the care-giving team. Since my return from winter vacation, I have seen a difference in how my co-workers and directors treat me. I have been given more responsibility such as organizing activities, giving children permission to leave the house, and making calls for directors.

The kids now see me as a part of the house - as a caregiver just like the others. They come to me with their problems or open up if they're having a bad day with the expectation that I will be there for them. They're scared of me catching them out of the dorms after bedtime whereas before my presence was no threat to them at all - them knowing they could pounce all over me by speaking really fast in Spanish.

In the office, my Spanish is at the point where I'm not apprehensive to speak to superiors or other important figures. I'm not afraid to ask for the definition of a word if I don't understand.

The arrival of new volunteers has forced me to question myself - what have I done here thus far and what am I going to do my last five months here?

I've done the learning of the systems, made the adjustment to the culture, and acquired the language. There's no holding back now and time to gear into full steam ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment