Sunday, July 19, 2009

Oops, I forgot to bring my chihuahua


Field trip with the primeros (those just entering high school) to the town of Tepoztlan to hike up the Tepozteco mountain. None of us new what we were getting into. The girls wore flip flops and flats and the boys, jeans. When we arrived to the town and saw the hike waiting for us, despite being dressed in unflexible clothes, the primeros tackled a 45 minutes intense hike up the mountain. The steep ascent (1200 ft in less than a mile) combined with the altitude (6700 ft) made the hike the most intensive cardio workout I've had in a while. The view waiting for us, as well as the Aztec pyramid on top, was well worth the hike.

As for the title of this post -- apparently looking your best and bringing along all your possessions is the way of the hike in Mexico. On the way up we passed people carrying small dogs, months-old children, and guitars. I felt rather underdressed in my soccer shorts and t-shirt compared to those decked out in dresses, designer jeans and expensive shoes.

Next time I'm wearing Michael Khors and bringing my Chihuahua.

No comments:

Post a Comment