Saturday, July 11, 2009

And So It Begins

First full day "on the job." Sophie and I went on a field trip with the "primeros," the pequeños who have just moved into the house here in Cuernavaca to start high school. Since they've just moved to a new city, they had a kind of orientation. It was just as much an orientation for me, as I know far less than the kids do about Cuernavaca. Now, through an activity that I supposidly was supposed to lead, I have learned where to get the bus to go to other cities, where the market is, where to get the cheapest bread, etc.

Spanish will continue to be a challenge. It's a little frustrating that I can't completely understand the stories some of the kids tell me. Sometimes I miss the entire point. But I'm running on the picture I have of myself a few months from now when I'll be at a far higher level of comprehension than I ever have been. And I have an awesome group of pequeños to help me along. The pequeños as well who are in their year of service (as each child, once they complete high school, needs to give back to NPH by serving for a year as a caregiver, cook, driver, etc.) are very hospitable.

Played a little "futbolita" (foosball) and watched a little Harry Potter. Thankful for the English movies with Spanish subtitles. But somehow I found myself reading the Spanish subtitles instead of listening to the English. All in the Spanish mindset :)

No comments:

Post a Comment