Sunday, December 20, 2009

Spanglish

When I visited family a couple weeks ago in Canada and the US, it was the first time being back in an English-speaking world. I quickly discovered that I had lost my English fluency.

In Mexico, the only people I speak English with are the other volunteers (and in my English classes). We speak a form of Spanglish. Mostly English, but when we forget a word in English or a Spanish word just fits better, we can use it without the worry of being misunderstood.

I quickly discovered, thanks to my mom's blank face, that when talking about not having the "ganas" to go out or that something was "mala onda" that I had lost my English.

So while my Spanish flunecy increases, my English fluency decreases. I guess there's only so much processing and containing of information my brain can do. But really, I'd like to speak just one language without any difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment