Friday, February 5, 2010

The Varying Definitions of Conservative Dress

Sophie and I went on a run today. For the first time in a while, Sophie paired shorts instead of pants with her long-sleeved tee. Immediately, my eyes were drawn to her legs. They were fascinating and I had no idea why.

It wasn't until during out walk to the track that I discovered the reason for my fascination: I had not seen a pair of legs sans pants in a very long time.

You see, in the US, it seems that one who shows a lot of leg, but covers everything up on top, can still pass off as dressed appropriately (even in the case, perhaps, of a skirt leaning to the skimpy side). Meanwhile, in Mexico, women rarely showing off leg and instead exposing a lot of upper-body around the shoulders is perfectly acceptable.

(There are of course exceptions to the rule and extremes that throw this observation out the window).

Sophie has agreed to model the differences. In the first picture you will find Sophie displaying conservative, but sexy American dress for a first date. In the second, you will find the tasteful outfit a Mexican woman might wear on her first date.




So in my transition into becoming a Mexican, I no longer bat an eye at bra straps or exposed chests. Instead, long, exposed legs have become a rather exotic part of a woman that really just must be covered up

1 comment: