Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Translating

With these past two weeks, I feel I can now add “translator” to my resume under job experiences.

As I’ve mentioned, the kids produced Romeo and Juliet last Thursday. They’re doing so under the direction of three directors from Holland who have funded the play. They speak, as it seems, every language on earth – except Spanish. The poquito of Spanish they speak makes it difficult for them to communicate with the kids and staff here.
Sophie and Naomi to the rescue!

We became the official translators of NPH. We’ve decoded English to Spanish and vice versa, running into problems only when the Dutch start speaking in Dutch because they get confused when switching from English to Spanish to Dutch, then back again.

The UN is my next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment